Jul 21, 2024  
2024-2025 Catalog 
2024-2025 Catalog

Tuition and Fees


For tuition purposes, students are considered either in-state or out-of-state when they apply for admission. This practice is governed by Colorado statute. To be entitled to in-state tuition, students must live in Colorado and fulfill specific citizen responsibilities for one full calendar year before they register. Contact the Student Services Centers for more information or see the second page of the Application for Admission form.

New Colorado law (HB 20-1275) grants active-duty military and their spouse/child under 23 years of age, or veterans and their spouse/child under 23 years of age both in-state tuition rates and College Opportunity Fund Stipend (COF) eligibility. Students who indicate above military affiliation on their college application will automatically be granted the resident rate with COF. Alternately, students may submit their valid military ID or DD214 via web form at https://www.pikespeak.edu/military/mil-instate-tuition. Active-Duty on Title 10 orders will pay the military online rate of $250 per credit hour. They must identify as active-duty when submitting their college application.

Olympic Training Center. Olympic athletes may pay in-state tuition rates. Student status must be verified by the U.S. Olympic Training Center. A separate form must be submitted to the Student Services Centers prior to the census date each term for which the in-state tuition rate is requested. The College has no obligation to honor late requests, in which case the student may be held responsible for payment of the non-resident tuition rates.

Colorado ASSET Bill

Senate Bill 13-033,

also known as Colorado ASSET, allows students without lawful immigration status to receive in-state tuition.

To qualify as an ASSET student, the student must be a Colorado high school graduate who attended a Colorado high school for at least one year before graduation or was physically present in Colorado for at least one year immediately preceding the date the student successfully completed a high school equivalency examination in Colorado; and has been physically present in Colorado for at least 12 consecutive months prior to enrolling into a Colorado institution.

As with the traditional domicile path, residency classification will be determined based off the information and documents submitted by the student. The burden of proof is on the individual seeking in-state tuition.

College Opportunity Fund (COF)

The State of Colorado historically subsidized higher education for in-state students by giving money directly to the colleges. In 2004 the Colorado Legislature enacted a new law establishing the College Opportunity Fund (COF). Under this new law, the State gives this money for the subsidy to students by sending it to the institution the student designates. This money, known as the College Opportunity Fund stipend, will be applied to students who qualify for in-state tuition and have lawful presence in the US, to include DACA, ASSET, and students on visas. The college you are attending will receive the money and it will appear as a credit on your tuition bill. Currently the College Opportunity Fund (COF) stipend is estimated to be worth $116 per credit hour.

Failure to sign up and authorize COF will result in the loss of this stipend. To sign up go to https://cof.college-assist.org. Students can authorize their COF via their student portal.

Estimated Per Credit Hour Base Tuition Calculation 2023-2024
  Total estimated base in-state tuition $280.20
Minus estimated College Opportunity Fund Stipend $116.00
Student’s estimated share of in-state tuition $164.20

Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE) Program

Students who are residents of Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education (WICHE) www.wiche.edu/states may be eligible to request a reduced Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE) tuition rate which is less than the non-resident rate. WICHE states include Alaska, Arizona, California, Commonwealth of N. Marianas Islands, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming.

Students applying for the WUE program must provide evidence of domicile in the qualifying states and will be required to reapply for WUE each semester. You may pick up a WUE application at any campus at the Student Services Center.

Students are not permitted to apply time spent in the WUE program toward satisfaction of residency requirements for tuition classification purposes. Online courses are not eligible for the WUE tuition rate.

Tuition and Fees (2023-2024)

Tuition for In-State and Out-of-State

The in-state tuition rate for 2023-2024 is $164.20 per credit hour after COF (see above). The out-of-state tuition rate for 2023-2024 is $673.90 per credit hour. There are some courses that have higher tuition rates. Please refer to the tuition and fee chart at www.pikespeak.edu/paying-college/tuition-fees/ for more information.

Student Fees

The student fee rate for 2023-2024 is $11.18 per credit hour plus a $16.30 registration fee, and a $10.00 Bus Pass Fee.

Course Fees

Some courses have extra fees ranging from $3.00 per credit hour to $1,995.00 per course. Refer to www.pikespeak.edu/payingcollege/tuition-fees/ for a detailed list.

* Tuition and fees are set by the State Legislature and Governing Board late in the fiscal year and potential increases for the 2024-2025 year are unknown at the time of this printing. Tuition and fee rates for off-campus locations may vary according to operational costs.

Student Activity Fees

Mandatory fees associated with enrollment in the college and/or campus that are assessed for a specific purpose. These fees include, but are not limited to, student centers, recreation, student government, contract health services, and/or similar services and facilities; non-bonded parking fees; and any general fee, the revenue from which is appropriated by student government for a specific purpose. Specific guidelines are provided in the PPSC Institutional Fee Plan.

Residency Classification Appeals

Out-of-state students pay higher tuition than in-state students. Students classified as out-of-state who believe that they are in-state may appeal by picking up a “Petition for In-State Tuition Classification” from the Student Services Centers. The petition and required supporting documents must be submitted to the Student Services Centers by the deadline listed in the class schedule. Turning in a petition does not guarantee that residency status will be changed. If the petition is denied, the student must drop classes by the deadline or pay out-of-state tuition and fees.

To challenge the ruling on a petition, students may appeal to the Tuition Classification Review Committee. Ask the Student Services Centers personnel for details.

The general requirements for Colorado residency are as follows:

  • 12 months of continuous domicile in the state of Colorado
  • Have filed Colorado state income tax returns as a Colorado resident
  • Have a Colorado driver’s license

For the entire Colorado policy regarding residency, go to highered.colorado.gov/Finance/Residency/default.html. All information used to prove Colorado residency must be submitted to the Student Services Center by the first day of class for the full term.

Tuition Adjustment

To receive a tuition refund, or an adjustment, students must drop classes by the deadline listed in the class schedule. No refunds or adjustments will be made after that date except in rare cases. Appeal forms are available in the Student Services Centers or on the Internet. Contract programs may have different refund procedures.


The bookstores at the Centennial and Rampart Range Campuses stock books and supplies needed for courses offered at that campus. A wide variety of other school supplies and PPSC insignia items are also available at all three campus bookstores.

Textbooks may be purchased from our bookstore online at www.pikespeak.bncollege.com. Course material information in accordance with the College Opportunity and Affordability Act is available at www.pikespeak.bncollege.com.

The bookstores have several opportunities for you to sell your eligible books back. The demand for books and the condition of your books will determine eligibility for all buyback opportunities listed below.

  • “Top Dollar Buyback” is scheduled at the end of each semester. This is an opportunity for you to sell your books back for up to 50 percent of the bookstore purchase price.
  • Buybacks are also scheduled at the beginning of each term. This buyback offers wholesale value for your eligible books.
  • In addition, between scheduled buyback events, the bookstore will review your books for buyback eligibility daily. If eligible, we can pay you wholesale value for your books. This is available online at www.pikespeak.bncollege.com or in one of our stores during normal business hours. There are circumstances where buyback proceeds may be applied to outstanding balances at the College.

Financial Aid

There are numerous financial resources available for students who attend Pikes Peak State College. Students should start the process by applying online for the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The application will explain which tax return and income information students need for reference and federal tax returns may also be downloaded automatically if the student has filed an electronic tax return two weeks prior to doing the FAFSA. This application is available on the Internet at https://studentaid.gov/. If signed electronically, this process takes less than a week for the school to receive. Students are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. Applications for the next academic year (beginning in late August) were available October 1. To avoid delays, please complete the FAFSA and do so as soon as a decision is made to apply for admission to the College.

No other documentation is necessary until the U.S. Department of Education processes the request. If it is necessary for the school to request more information after the results have been received, notifications are made via the student’s college assigned email.

To learn more about financial aid programs, how aid is distributed, student rights and responsibilities, or policies and procedures, please contact the Student Services Center or review this information online at www.pikespeak.edu.

American Opportunity Tax Credit

Under the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA), more parents and students will qualify for the American Opportunity Tax Credit to help pay for college expenses.

The American Opportunity Tax Credit modifies the existing Hope Credit. The AOTC makes the Hope Credit available to a broader range of taxpayers, including many with higher incomes and those who owe no tax. It also adds required course materials to the list of qualifying expenses and allows the credit to be claimed for four post-secondary education years instead of two. Many of those eligible will qualify for the maximum annual credit of $2,500 per student.

The full credit is available to individuals whose modified adjusted gross income is $80,000 or less, or $160,000 or less for married couples filing a joint return. The credit is phased out for taxpayers with incomes above these levels. These income limits are higher than under the existing Hope and Lifetime Learning Credits.

The AOTC applied to tax years 2009 and 2010 under ARRA. The credit was extended to apply for tax years 2011 and 2012 by the Tax Relief and Job Creation Act of 2010. The American Taxpayer Relief Act of 2012 extended the AOTC for five years through December 2017.

If you still have questions about the American Opportunity Tax Credit, these questions and answers might help.

Earned Income Tax Credit/Child Tax Credit

The Earned Income Tax Credit or the EITC is a refundable federal income tax credit for low to moderate income working individuals and families. Congress originally approved the tax credit legislation in 1975 in part to offset the burden of social security taxes and to provide an incentive to work. When EITC exceeds the amount of taxes owed, it results in a tax refund to those who claim and qualify for the credit.

To qualify for Earned Income Tax Credit or EITC or simply called EIC, you must have earned income from employment, self-employment or another source and meet certain rules. In addition, you must either meet the additional rules for Workers without a Qualifying Child or have a child that meets all the Qualifying Child Rules for you. Taxpayers must meet certain requirements and file a tax return, even if they do not have a filing requirement.

For more information including help in determining whether individuals and their families qualify, go to www.irs.gov/publications. Please consult this website before you file your taxes. It is estimated that 25 percent of all eligible individuals do not take advantage of this program.

The Child Tax Credit is a credit that may reduce your tax by as much as $1,000 for each of your qualifying children. The Additional Child Tax Credit is a credit that you may be able to take if you are not able to claim the full amount of the Child Tax Credit. You may not qualify for the Child Tax Credit but qualify for the Additional Child Tax Credit.


There are four types of financial aid:

  • Scholarships are generally based on school grades, need, or accomplishments in a particular area of study.
  • Grants are federal and state programs based on demonstrated financial need.
  • Loans provide funds while students are attending school but must be repaid.
  • Work-study agreements allow students to work for the College while enrolled.

Scholarships and grants do not need to be repaid. The Student Financial Aid Handbook, available in the Student Services Centers or online at www.pikespeak.edu/financial-aid-office/financial-aid-forms describes each of these programs.

Foundation Scholarships

The Pikes Peak State College Foundation provides scholarship support to many PPSC students each year. Go to www.pikespeak.edu/scholarships for more information about available scholarships and how to apply. Questions can be directed to scholarships@pikespeak.edu.


  • Colorado Student Grants (CSG)
  • Federal Pell Grants (PELL)
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOG)


  • Federal Direct Stafford Student Loans (subsidized and unsubsidized)
  • Federal Direct Parent Loans (PLUS)
  • Studentloans.gov allows students and parents meeting federal eligibility requirements to complete a Master Promissory Note for a Stafford and/or PLUS loan online.

Employment Opportunities

  • Federal College Work-Study Employment
  • Colorado Work-Study Employment
  • VA Work-Study Employment (See Military & Veterans Programs  for more information)