Jun 20, 2024  
2022-2023 Catalog 
2022-2023 Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Getting Started

We believe that everyone who is able to successfully complete courses should have a chance to attend college.

Prospective students who are at least 17 years old or have a high school diploma, a GED (High School Equivalency Diploma), or a college degree will, in most cases, be automatically admitted to PPSC.

However, admission to the College does not guarantee admission into a desired program. Some programs are limited to a certain number of students each semester. We have a priority system so that program applicants are selected impartially.

Advising & Testing

Advising & Testing supports student learning by aiding students in deciding what degree or certificate they can pursue to meet their career goals; how to choose courses that provide the shortest path to their chosen goal; and if they are best prepared to start with college level course work. Advising & Testing provides students with information on transferring to 4-year schools; career readiness; faculty advising; and registering for classes. Visit our webpage at www.pikespeak.edu/testing or one of our Advising & Testing offices available at all PPSC campuses for any of the following.

  • Explanation of basic skills (placement test) results, and assistance in selecting the correct classes based upon a student’s degree and placement results
  • Information on course sequence and prerequisites
  • Help in adding or dropping classes
  • Assignment of a faculty advisor
  • Assistance with changing a course of study or faculty advisor, www.pikespeak.edu/records/change-of-major
  • Employment services to help students market themselves and find a job, www.pikespeak.edu/career-services

Class Schedule

Our class schedule is published every semester and is available on the PPSC website at www.pikespeak.edu. It lists the time and location for each course. Fall and Spring terms are 15 weeks long and may include a finals week in some areas. The summer term is 10 weeks long.

To provide more flexibility, we offer some classes for 5-weeks, 7 ½ weeks, or other scheduling options.

If you are looking for online classes, PPSC eLearning sections offer flexible scheduling options for students. All PPSC online courses will have an “N” in the section number.

Class schedule information may change without notice.

Concurrent Enrollment

Concurrent Enrollment (CE) is a program for high school students to earn college credit and seek degrees and certificates. Through CE, high school students may take PPSC courses on the college campus, online, or approved high school locations.


Accelerating Students through Concurrent Enrollment (ASCENT) allows students from participating Colorado school districts and who have successfully completed at least 12 postsecondary credits to receive free tuition for up to 24 college credits toward degrees or certificates. Interested students should contact their high school counselor or High School Programs at 719-502-3111 for more information.

New Students

The first step toward enrollment is to complete the College Opportunity Fund application. This application ensures that resident students receive the State higher education stipend. Failure to register will result in higher tuition costs for the resident student.

The next step is to complete an application for admission. Potential students are encouraged to apply online at www.pikespeak.edu. Students should apply early to get the best possible start in college.

Readmit Students

Students who have been enrolled at Pikes Peak State College before but have not attended for three or more semesters, including summer, must re-submit an Application for Admission.

Readmission of military service member students

PPSC will allow readmission of service members to selective application programs or to reenter their original program of study at the academic year of their enrollment if the service member is required to completely withdraw from the institution for a period of more than 30 consecutive days in compliance with Section 484C of the Higher Education Act of 1965 and with Federal Law 20 U.S.C 1091c. Service members who believe they meet this criterion should contact the Department of Military and Veterans Programs (719-502-4200 or mvp@pikespeak.edu) to begin the re-admission process.

Transfer Students to PPSC

To transfer credits from another college, students must request that an official transcript be sent for evaluation to the Registrar’s Office at PPSC from their prior institution. Request forms are available from the Student Services Centers. (See Academic Standards ).

International (F1) Students

Pikes Peak State College has a great deal to offer international students! For admissions purposes, PPSC defines an international student as anyone who already possess an F1 Visa or would like to apply for one.

Prospective students may apply to PPSC and then submit the following documents for review:

Proof of English Proficiency. One of the following is needed as evidence of English proficiency:

  • Minimum score of 450 (written test), 45 (Internet based test) on the Test of English as a World Language (TOEFL). PPSC’s institution code for TOEFL is 4291. Students scoring below 550 (written) or 80 (Internet) may attend PPSC but will need to take our ESL placement test when they arrive at PPSC. They should plan on taking one to three semesters of ESL before beginning their program of study. Students scoring at or above 550 (written) or 80 (Internet), may enroll in courses towards their field of study.
  • Minimum score of 5.5 on the International English Language Test System (IELTS). Students scoring below 6.5 may attend PPSC but will need to take our ESL placement test when they arrive at PPSC. They should plan on taking one to three semesters of ESL before beginning their program of study. Students scoring at or above 5.5 may enroll in courses towards their field of study.
  • Minimum score of 500 on the Test of English for International Communication (TOEIC). Students scoring below 750 may attend PPSC but will need to take our ESL placement test when they arrive at PPSC. They should plan on taking one to three semesters of ESL before beginning their program of study. Students scoring at or above 750 may enroll in courses towards their field of study.
  • Minimum score of 38 on the Pearson PTE The English Language Test. Students scoring below 53 may attend PPSC but will need to take our ESL placement test when they arrive at PPSC. They should plan on taking one to three semesters of ESL before beginning their program of study.  Students scoring at or above 53 may enroll in courses towards their field of study.
  • Transcripts showing graduation from an English language school.
  • If already in the US, passing score on the English as a Second Language (ESL) four-part Accuplacer Test, taken on-site at Pikes Peak State College.
  • Proof of English proficiency is waived if the student graduated from a secondary school (high school) with entirely English instruction or has successfully completed college coursework at another US college.

Proof of Financial Resources

  • International Student Financial Statement (will be sent after student applies)
  • Original supporting bank documents dated within the last three months that show you have sufficient funds for one year of study and living expenses. $30,000 is required for independent students and $17,000 for students receiving room and board support from a sponsor (example - family, friend or organization). If sponsored by an individual or organization, please supply a notarized sponsor letter detailing all support that will be provided.
  • If your sponsor/s will also be paying tuition and other academic fees, we will need a bank statement from them, showing at least $17,000. If you will be coming with dependents who need an F2 visa, additional funds are required; an additional $5,000 for a spouse and $3,750 for each child.
  • Although we can accept a COPY of a bank statement in many instances, PPSC may request that a bank statement come to us directly from the bank. We may ask for this at any time during the admissions process.

Academic Records

  • Official High School transcript if highest level of education. If not in English, we also need a certified English translation.
  • College transcripts, if applicable. If not in English, we also need a certified English translation. If you wish to have previous college credit applied towards a degree or certificate, an official evaluation of your transcripts must be made by a certified International Transcript Evaluation Service.

Transfer from Another U.S. School

  • If you are already in the United States, attending another college as an F-1 student, and would like to transfer to Pikes Peak State College, please also provide a statement from the international student advisor at your current school that confirms you are in good status.

An admissions application must be completed and all required documents submitted by:
Summer Semester - April 1
Fall Semester - July 1
Spring Semester - November 15

If you already have an F1 Visa and would like to transfer to PPSC, it is a much quicker process and mostly dependent on how long it takes for you to submit all the required documents. If you are accepted as a student, we would then arrange for your SEVIS record to be transferred from your existing school to PPSC. The transfer student application and document deadline is 2 weeks prior to the first week of classes for the semester.


After meeting with an advisor and selecting a schedule of classes, the next step is to register. The registration period begins several months before the start of each new semester. Students may register by using the Internet, or on-site at the Centennial, Downtown, or Rampart Range Campuses. The class schedule published each semester includes details about how to register. The schedule also explains how to add, drop, or change classes once enrolled. Note that instructors or other College staff are not responsible for dropping you from or changing registration in your classes. A helpful registration guide is available.

Satisfying College Course Placement Requirements

The College assists students with course and educational planning decisions through any of the Advising & Testing centers.

Most students can start in the college-level English and Math classes they need for their degree. Students do this by enrolling in their college-level English and Math classes with a co-requisite college-prep support course. These co-requisite college-prep courses are designed to make sure you have the skills needed to be successful in your college level courses.

To enroll in college-level coursework without a co-requisite college-prep, students must demonstrate College Reading & Writing Literacy, College Quantitative Literacy, and/or College Algebraic Literacy. College Literacy may be satisfied by meeting any of the following requirements:

  • Completed the ACT, PSAT, or SAT tests within the past five years with qualifying scores.Please see pikespeak.edu/testing-center for list of qualifying scores;
  • Have completed a college credit exam AP, CLEP, DSST, GED, or IB with qualifying scores within the last 15 years;

For College Reading & Writing Literacy: completed Junior year English with a “B” or better both semesters within the last two years

For College Algebraic Literacy: completed high school Pre-Calculus or higher with a “B” or better within the last 18 months

For College Quantitative Literacy

  • Have completed high school Algebra II with a “B” or better both semesters within the last 18 months;
  • Have completed MAT 0250  Quantitative Literacy with a grade of C or better within the past five years;
  • Have successfully completed necessary remedial courses in Mathematics at another Colorado Community College;
  • Have completed a college-level Mathematics course with a “C” or higher from a regionally accredited College or University within the last 15 years;
  • Have earned a transfer-oriented associate degree, Associate of Arts (AA) or Associate of Science (AS), from a regionally accredited college or university. Excludes Associate of General Studies (AGS) or Associate of Applied Science (AAS) degrees;
  • Have an earned a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited college or university.

If you meet one or more of the requirements above, please scan and email your supporting documents to testing.center@pikespeak.edu or upload through this form pikespeak.edu/l/academic-history. To officially transfer your prior college credits to PPSC, you will also need to submit official transcripts to the PPSC Records department.

Students may choose to enroll in college-level coursework if they cannot demonstrate college-readiness. Advising & Testing can recommend the college-preparatory coursework for your degree or certificate program.

Students who wish to enroll in college-level coursework without evidence of College Reading & Writing Literacy, College Quantitative Literacy, and/or College Algebraic Literacy may take a placement test in any of our Advising & Testing centers. For information on how to complete placement testing: pikespeak.edu/testing-center.

All new students entering the English as a Second Language (ESL) must take a placement test. This test will place new students into one of three levels: basic, intermediate, or advanced. The test is available by computer at all campuses. ESL students should call 719-502-3535 for further information.

Accommodations are available for students with documented disabilities. Contact Accessibility Services to make arrangements for accommodated placement testing. 719-502-3333.

You must present a valid photo ID to test. All testing stops fifteen minutes prior to closing time.

For Information about all testing services and hours of operation: pikespeak.edu/testing-center. Centennial Campus Testing Center, 719-502-3370; Rampart Range Campus Testing Center, 719-502-3380; or Downtown Campus Testing Center, 719-502-3390.

Active-duty military may take placement tests at Ft. Carson, Bldg. 1117 and Peterson SFB, Bldg. 1141. An appointment is not necessary, but it is recommended that you contact those offices to confirm availability: Fort Carson, 719-502-4200 and Peterson SFB, 719-502-4300.