Additional information available on the Early Childhood Education Department website.
Recommended basic skills courses are
- College Readiness in English
- College Readiness for Quantitative Literacy
Early Childhood Education, like all education, demands well-prepared teachers. A growing body of research supports the value of high-quality early childhood programs for children’s later success in school and in life, the most important determinant of which is the teacher.
Pikes Peak State College and the Early Childhood Education program faculty are committed to providing the optimal course of study that meets the career goals of each student. The Early Childhood Education program is the foundation for a challenging and rewarding career in early childhood care and education as well as other related fields.
All students registered for ECE classes, both lecture-based and practicum-based courses, must submit to a criminal background check the first semester of enrollment. This process is completed online through the PPSC Human Resources Department, with an associated cost for the background check service. Further instructions are available on the ECE home page and will be provided the first day of class.
Upon completion of the Early Childhood Education program, students will be able to meet the educational qualifications for early childhood teacher and director as defined by the Colorado Department of Human Services for licensed childcare centers and preschools.
All students should schedule an appointment with an Early Childhood Education program advisor prior to enrolling in a class. Please call 719-502-3300 to schedule an appointment.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the Early Childhood Education degree program, students should be able to:
- Apply their knowledge of child development and learning to their teaching practices
- Develop family and community relationships
- Observe, document, and assess young children to make informed decisions
- Apply developmentally effective approaches to connect with children and families
- Use content knowledge to build meaningful curriculum
- Define and demonstrate being an early childhood professional